Go Back   H0SCALE > General > All Topics allowed here
HOME Register Gallery FAQ Members List Members World Map Calendar Video Downloads Web Links Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

» Site Navigation
» Top Photo Rating

category: Real Train Pictures
photo by : southernbelt

Rating

» Random Member
Name
: charlesm
Title
: Passenger
Join
: July 31, 2008, 1:12 am
» Download
Latest Files
Latest Files
Most Popular Files
Most Popular Files
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Vicky56

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 1
Vicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org train
Send a message via AIM to Vicky56
Any thoughts?

I know we have had a few people having disagreements with each other over the years but surely it can't just be that that has caused our catastrophic derailment of this site.

Does any one have any ideas that may make us a bit more active? Maybe I need to go to my club more regularly and get involved in the HO layout. Not enought room for a HO layout at home so club may be the solution.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #2
RailMix
Experienced Engineer

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
RailMix has found the right track
I think the hobby as a whole has suffered from the economy, and people don't have either the time or the money they did a few years ago. I know in my own case, I now work 90 miles away and only come home on weekends. I don't have a lot of hobby time or extra money right now, and suspect a lot of people are in similar situations, but that doesn't entirely explain what's happened here. I visit infrequently so am not sure who is still hanging out here. Are Kenny and Ten Wheeler and some of the others still here? Those folks contributed a lot and I know this was a very interesting site several years ago with contests, lively discussions, etc.
I hope it can come back, although I know several of the earlier members left with some hard feelings.
Frankly, I'm not sure how to bring it back, but hope there is a solution to be found. I'll be back more often when I can and will try to keep up with this thread when I can.

"Sometimes the technology just isn't there and you have to hit the anvil with the hammer."
RailMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
RBF
Experienced Engineer

RBF will find soon the double tracks
For me it has been work and less cash to use for my layout. I would like a bigger lay but don't have the room. As far as this forum I never had any problems with anyone here. The people here have always been nice and very helpful to me. So I am glad I missed the problems that happened here in my absence!
RBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
Vicky56

Vicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org trainVicky56 is controlling the second Nscale.org train
Quote:
Originally Posted by RailMix View Post
I think the hobby as a whole has suffered from the economy, and people don't have either the time or the money they did a few years ago. I know in my own case, I now work 90 miles away and only come home on weekends. I don't have a lot of hobby time or extra money right now, and suspect a lot of people are in similar situations, but that doesn't entirely explain what's happened here. I visit infrequently so am not sure who is still hanging out here. Are Kenny and Ten Wheeler and some of the others still here? Those folks contributed a lot and I know this was a very interesting site several years ago with contests, lively discussions, etc.
I hope it can come back, although I know several of the earlier members left with some hard feelings.
Frankly, I'm not sure how to bring it back, but hope there is a solution to be found. I'll be back more often when I can and will try to keep up with this thread when I can.
Just about everybody is absent from the site which is why I broached the subject. Both Kenny and Ten Wheeler haven't been on for months.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
Big Ed
Skilled Engineer

Big Ed will find soon the double tracks
I don't know about now but a few years ago I think it was because of the lack of the sites problems being taken care of.

A lot of ideals on things went unanswered.
Picture posting took weeks instead of days, sometimes longer, sometimes they never got approved.
Suggestions for fixing something went completely ignored, the same for new ideals that were thought up.
So I think a lot just gave up and moved on.

The most famous line was "Serg is a busy man".
I have said it before both here and on N that he needs to give his mods a little more power.

I lurk on the N site once and a while and see the active members numbers (online users) down too.
Heck, the Christmas contest from 2012 is still listed there.
What happened to 2013 christmas contest?

Serg too busy? I would think the mods could have handled a 2014 Christmas picture contest.

I lurk here just a little and when I do I never see anyone logged on and only maybe 10 hobo's.

Just my 2 cents.

Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Vicky56

Thanks Ed. Everything you have said is quite right. It is not for the want of asking Serg to give us some extra ability to help the site. I don't think it is he is too busy these days. None of us mods know what is happening with Serg and he never answers emails to him. Don't know if he is unwell or just doesn't care anymore.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
RBF
Experienced Engineer

RBF will find soon the double tracks
Maybe more posts on how to keep cost's down with your layout and to think more outside the box.Thing's seem to high in price, I use matchbox trucks on my layout. The truck's are near ho scale and are only $3 to maybe $7 dollars compare to $24 for an ho scale UPS truck. I would love to buy an DCC system but the cost is just nuts. So we need to help members cut cost's and save money so they may buy say a DCC system or a Diesel Engine with Proto sound that cost's about $250 dollars if they like. I save plastic odd's and end's to make things. I use 3M sheetrock sanding mesh for chain link fence which cost $4 dollars and spray paint it silver and the fence posts are finishing nails. I know there are other members out there who have ways to save. Do you think this would help any?
RBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Vicky56

Absolutely. I think a thread about any of these topics are beneficial to all. I'm not able to do much in this regard as I don't have an HO layout and therefore can't speak from experience. I will try however to be more involved in the clubs HO layout so I can get some hands on experience.

Many thanks for your input.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
HOexplorer
Experienced Engineer

Downloads: 0
HOexplorer is looking for electrified double tracksHOexplorer is looking for electrified double tracksHOexplorer is looking for electrified double tracksHOexplorer is looking for electrified double tracksHOexplorer is looking for electrified double tracksHOexplorer is looking for electrified double tracks
Vicky, I don't have the answer. I've speculated on this issue concerning your 'cousins.' With HO as big as it is, especially here in North America it does seem weird to me that there are not more folks here. I'm one of the most active and I only drop in once a month or so.

I have a probably the most visited single thread on the model railroading internet on another forum. 187,000 views in 23 months! Seems strange that that many folks viewing my work never visit or join in here. The thread is HO and covers scenery and model railroad photography. Seems to me that having many 'other' HO sites folks just don't know about HO-Scale. It is too bad. Jim

Last edited by HOexplorer : 02-04-2014 at 08:13 PM.
HOexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
ten wheeler
Junior Engineer

ten wheeler is looking for electrified double tracksten wheeler is looking for electrified double tracksten wheeler is looking for electrified double tracksten wheeler is looking for electrified double tracksten wheeler is looking for electrified double tracksten wheeler is looking for electrified double tracks
Ten Wheeler is still here. I suffered a year or two Hiatus due to the old lost interest for a while blahs but have returned to working on the layout with all kinds of enthusiasm.

I am flattered that people thought I was such a booster.

OK, I have a topic for potential discussion.

Running at lowest steady speed (for me on some of my locos about 8 scale mph) it takes a train 8 minutes and 40 seconds to complete a lap. Is this high or low? How does speed effect your enjoyment of the layout?

People need to be asked questions and given a chance to voice their opinions.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
ten wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote